DNS (Domain Name Server) lookup resolves domain names/hostnames into the corresponding IP address and retrieves particular information from the target domain.
Example: MX record, etc.
This article guides you on how to perform the process of DNS lookup in GFI LanGuard.
- Launch GFI LanGuard.
- Click Utilities and select DNS lookup in the left pane under Tools.
- Specify the hostname to resolve in Hostname/IP to resolve.
- Under Common Tasks in the left pane, click Edit DNS lookup Options or click Options on the right pane and specify the information described below:
|Basic Information||Retrieves the hostname and the relative IP address.|
|Host Information (HINFO)||Retrieves HINFO details. It includes target computer information such as hardware specifications and OS (Operating System) details.|
|Aliases||Retrieves information on the ‘A Records’ configured on the target domain.|
|MX (Mail Exchange) Records||Enumerate all the mail servers and the order or priority in which they receive and process emails for the target domain.|
|NS (Name Server) Records||Specify the name–servers that are authoritative for a particular domain or subdomain.|
NOTE: Some DNS entries do not contain certain information for security reasons.
- OPTIONAL: Specify the alternative DNS server to be queried by the DNS lookup tool or leave as default to use the default DNS server.
- Click Retrieve to start the process.