This article provides set up instructions for the following Brooktrout Fax Boards:
- Brooktrout TR1034
- Trufax ISDN Cards
- Trufax Analog Cards
- The current Brooktrout boards are Universal PCI (3.3/5 volts); however always check the technical details of the adapter to make sure it is suitable for the server hardware.
- You must always install GFI FaxMaker software before installing Brooktrout or Trufax drivers.
- Ensure that the correct Brooktrout card driver is installed.
- Brooktrout Cards Supported by GFI FaxMaker
- Installation guides, product documentation, and support are available from the Dialogic Technology website.
- Switch off the computer where you want to install the Brooktrout Fax card. Plug in the card following the instructions supplied with the hardware.
- Restart the computer. Ignore any Add New Hardware wizard dialog by pressing Cancel.
- Browse to
<GFI installation folder>\brooktrout\.
- Double click the executable file brooktrout_tr1034.exe.
- In the Welcome dialog, click Next. Read and accept the End User License Agreement dialog and click Next to continue the installation.
- Set the path where GFI FaxMaker is installed. If required, change the default installation path by clicking Browse and specifying the required path; else continue with the installation, by clicking Next.
- Click Install to install drivers and click Finish to finalize driver installation.
NOTE: If the installation has detected existing Brooktrout drivers on the computer, you will be asked to reboot your computer. This is required just in case the mentioned drivers were being used (i.e. were locked) and could not be replaced with the newly installed drivers.
- Go to Control Panel > Add New Hardware.
- Select Include this location in the search and provide the path where you have installed the Brooktrout TR1034 drivers. If you have opted to install the drivers in the default path, you should find these drivers in the same path where GFI FaxMaker is installed; else you should specify the same location that you have used in step 6 of this installation.
Figure 1: Add New Hardware wizard: Search and install options dialog
- Confirm the installation of uncertified drivers. Click Yes to proceed and install the new hardware.
Figure 2: Confirm installation of unsigned drivers
- Go to Start > All Programs > GFI FaxMaker Brooktrout TR1034 Drivers > Brooktrout Configuration Tool.
- Click Next and confirm the file paths. Click OK to proceed with setup.
Figure 3: Configuration tool preferences dialog
- If you have an IP enabled fax card, you will be asked to configure the Brooktrout SIP stack (i.e. FOIP - Fax over IP). Click Yes to proceed to the main configuration tool dialogs.
Figure 4: Configure Brooktrout SIP stack
- Check that the settings match your setup. If you did not make any configuration changes (i.e. you have left all settings as default), click Apply and close the Brooktrout Configuration Tool. If you need configuration assistance, you can refer to the help included in the configuration tool.
Figure 5: Brooktrout configuration tool window
- If the drivers do not work immediately when you start the GFI FaxMaker Fax Server or some lines refuse to send or receive, please reboot the computer.
- If an analog board refuses to dial out, make sure that the Tone Dialing option is enabled for the line in the GFI FaxMaker Configuration > Lines/Devices node.
- If using multiple Brooktrout boards in one chassis, make sure that they are of the same type. Having different Brooktrout boards in one chassis is not a supported setup. Also make sure that the rotary switch on the Brooktrout boards are set up in sequential numbers starting from
2. i.e.: Module 1 rotary switch set to
2, Module 2 rotary switch set to
Troubleshooting Brooktrout cards
To troubleshoot any hardware installation issues, download the Brooktrout diagnostics software (see screenshot below) from Dialogic Technology and ensure the card is installed properly. If the card is not recognized or not running, contact Dialogic Technology technical support.
Figure 6: Brooktrout diagnostics software