GFI FaxMaker can use many fax devices, including modems. GFI however highly recommends investing in a professional fax server device such as a Brooktrout TR1034 or Trufax fax board, a Dialogic Diva Pro/Server ISDN fax card or an AVM B1 ISDN fax card, for the following reasons:
- These devices are far superior to a modem or multi-port modem in terms of reliability and transmission speed.
- Modems can be unreliable, requiring regular resets, and are frequently not compatible with all fax machines, resulting in failed faxes.
- The chipset used is an important factor; however, since modem manufacturers constantly change chipsets it is difficult to recommend a particular model or brand.
- In terms of cost, a Brooktrout Trufax, Dialogic or AVM card is relatively inexpensive (only marginally more expensive than using two modems).
- Depending on what card you choose, you also get more fax features - for example, inbound routing or faster 33.6 faxing.
This article includes links to set up guides for the most common device types.
NOTE: GFI FaxMaker can also work with an online fax service, without the need for hardware or additional drivers. For more information refer to Fax services.
Click on a link below for setup instructions.
- Dialogic Diva Server ISDN Adapter
- Brooktrout Fax Board
- Fax modems or multi-port fax boards
- Modems using the GFI modem drivers
- Modems using the Windows fax drivers
- Fax over IP (FoIP) implementations
- XCAPI FoIP
- Brooktrout SR140 FoIP