GFI FaxMaker supports multiple configurations in a Microsoft Exchange environment. It can be installed directly on the Microsoft Exchange server or on a separate machine.
This article provides guidance for deploying GFI FaxMaker in the following scenarios:
This guide addresses installing GFI FaxMaker in a Microsoft Exchange environment.
GFI FaxMaker can be installed directly on a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010/2013/2016/2019 environment, that includes the Hub Transport role.
Figure 1: GFI FaxMaker installed on the Exchange server
During installation, GFI FaxMaker automatically configures Microsoft Exchange to process faxes and SMS. No further configuration is required post-installation. The following is configured by the installer:
|Client-side||Users send faxes/SMS via email using Microsoft® Outlook® or via the GFI FaxMaker Client application.|
|Sending faxes/SMS||The mail server is automatically configured to route all emails addressed to
|Received faxes/SMS||After determining the users to whom to forward incoming faxes/SMS, GFI FaxMaker sends transmission report via Microsoft® Exchange.|
Figure 2: GFI FaxMaker Processes
When GFI FaxMaker is not installed directly on the Microsoft Exchange server, connectors must be configured on the mail server to route fax and SMS to GFI FaxMaker (refer to the processes in figure 1). The image below shows how it works:
Figure 3: GFI FaxMaker installed on a dedicated server
- To use this setup, install the IIS SMTP service on the GFI FaxMaker server.
- Create SMTP connectors on Microsoft® Exchange to route all emails addressed to
sms:to GFI FaxMaker.
- The default fax (
faxmaker.com) and SMS (
smsmaker.com) domains can be customized by the GFI FaxMaker administrator. For more information refer to Fax and SMS domain names.
Creating the Connectors
- Run the GFI FaxMaker setup on the Microsoft® Exchange server (the Hub Transport role for Microsoft® Exchange 2007 onwards).
- When choosing the components to install, disable GFI FaxMaker Fax Server and select Exchange SMTP connector.
- In the next screen, specify the IP address or server name of the GFI FaxMaker server.
- Proceed with the installation. The setup creates a Send Connector and a Receive Connector named
- Install GFI FaxMaker on a machine that does not form part of the cluster.
- On each cluster node, set up Microsoft® Exchange SMTP connectors to forward emails addressed to
SMS:to GFI FaxMaker.
NOTE: The default fax (faxmaker.com) and SMS (smsmaker.com) domains can be customized by the GFI FaxMaker administrator. If using different domains, specify your custom domains. After installation, specify the domains in the GFI FaxMaker Configuration. For more information refer to Fax and SMS domain names.