Refer to the following steps to use GFI FaxMaker with Microsoft Office 365 Email-only account types or for other plans that do not include email connectors.
Prior to using this guide, take note of the following:
- GFI FaxMaker must be installed. Please refer to Installing and Upgrading GFI FaxMaker.
- With the following setup, users cannot use faxmaker.com and smsmaker.com when sending faxes since connectors cannot be created. Instead, configure fax and SMS DNS records, such as fax.mydomain.com and sms.mydomain.com.
Setting up GFI FaxMaker with Microsoft Office 365 Email Only Accounts involves three main steps:
- Installing GFI FaxMaker and setting mail server details.
- Creating alias records.
- Configuring GFI FaxMaker domains.
On install completion, the installer automatically launches the Configuration Wizard that assists you through the basic steps of configuration. Configure the following wizard steps:
In the Configuration Wizard welcome screen click Next.
- Choose My email server will forward faxes and SMSs to this GFI FaxMaker machine. Click Next.
Specify the mail server details where GFI FaxMaker forwards received emails.
Option Description Mail server name or IP address
Port Key in
Use Secure Connection
Select this option and choose TLS.
Use SMTP Authentication
Select this option and enter the credentials of a Microsoft® Office 365™ mailbox user. Key in the user's full email address in the Account name and the Password.
Do not select Secure Password Authentication.
NOTE: If GFI FaxMaker is already installed, configure the above mail server details from GFI FaxMaker Configuration > Email2FaxGateway.
- Proceed with the wizard to finalize the configuration. For more information refer to Completing the GFI FaxMaker Configuration Wizard.
NOTE: When sending emails to your organization users, for example when notifying administrators of system errors, GFI FaxMaker sends the email from the email address fax@[fax domain], for example, firstname.lastname@example.org. Ensure that GFI FaxMaker can send emails via your mail server from this email address.
NOTE: If you are not familiar with DNS, contact your DNS hosting company to create these records.
- Create two new alias records (“A” records) with your DNS hosting provider that are dedicated for the fax and SMS domains (for example, fax.mydomain.com and sms.mydomain.com).
- Point the destination of these records to the public IP address of the GFI FaxMaker server.
When emails are addressed to these domains, the hosting provider's mail relay server routes the email to GFI FaxMaker.
NOTE: DNS changes can take up to 72 hours to take effect.
- From GFI FaxMaker Configuration, right-click the Email2FAXGateway node and select Properties.
- From the Fax/SMS domains tab, specify a custom Fax domain name and/or SMS domain name (for example, fax.mydomain.com and sms.mydomain.com).
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Test fax sending:
- Use a hosted email user to send a fax or SMS via email.
- View the email being processed in the GFI FaxMaker Monitor and confirm that the fax is received by the recipient.
- If you cannot see the fax email being processed in the GFI FaxMaker Monitor, troubleshoot the relaying of the email from the mail server to GFI FaxMaker.
Test fax receiving:
- From a test fax line, send a fax to a fax line connected and configured in GFI FaxMaker.
- View the incoming fax status from GFI FaxMaker Monitor.
- Unless Routing rules were previously configured, the fax is delivered through the Default Routers (Available from GFI FaxMaker Configuration > Routing > Properties > Default Routers). Ensure that the fax is successfully delivered to the Default Routers’ mailbox.