Unfortunately, passwords can be lost. In the worst-case scenario, one might even lose or forget the administrator password. You can regain access by resetting the administrator password using a USB flash drive.
There are two types of USB flash drives in the market. Kerio Control requires a flash drive formatted with an MBR. USB drives with floppy-type formatting cannot connect to Kerio Control but can be reconfigured to work.
Kerio Technologies provides a tool for password recovery, which is designed to run from a USB flash drive.
This article provides step-by-step instructions on how you can create and use the password recovery tool to retrieve a lost administration password.
Step 1: Creating the Recovery File
- Insert a USB flash drive into the USB port on your computer.
- Make sure that only one partition with the file system FAT16 or FAT32 (VFAT) is created on the flash drive.
NOTE: The USB drive must not be formatted by the NTFS, ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems.
- Download the Kerio Control password reset file.
- Access the Kerio Software Archive page.
- Set the product as Kerio Control and click SHOW FILES.
- Download the USB script Kerio Control password reset option.
- Save the downloaded file into the flash drive.
- Eject and remove the flash drive from the computer.
Step 2: Rebooting with the USB Flash Drive
- Switch off Kerio Control.
- Plug the USB flash drive into the USB port of the Kerio Control Box or the computer where the Kerio Control software appliance is installed.
- Switch on Kerio Control.
NOTE: When the password is reset, the box beeps once. Wait for the Kerio Control Engine to start up (three beeps).
- In a web browser, open the Kerio Control administration interface.
- The activation wizard opens now and prompts for a new administration password.
- Create a new password for the admin account.