While installing or upgrading to the GFI LanGuard 12 version or above, you might encounter the following error:
Service 'GFI LanGuard 12 Service' (gfi_lanss12_winservice) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
This article analyzes the root cause and provides the steps to be followed if you receive this error message during the installation.
- Most commonly, this can be a result of not installing with an account with administrative rights. Verify that you are using an account with the administrative privileges on the device and retry the installation.
- We have also seen that this error can be caused by an upgrade installation changing the permissions on the service account away from their original credentials.
- Leave the error pop-up on the screen.
- Go to Start > Run > type
services.msc> hit Enter.
- Locate the LanGuard 12 service or the service in question.
- Right-click > Properties > Logon tab.
- Set the credentials back to the appropriate administrator account.
- Click OK.
- Start the service.
- On the error pop-up, select Retry.
This allows the installation to complete successfully.