This article details the procedure for the configuration of Activity Logging.
- Except for system updates, by default, GFI WebMonitor logs all Internet traffic that is routed through it for all licensed users.
- The application requires this data to populate dashboards and reports.
- GFI WebMonitor enables you to customize how long data is kept in the database.
Use the following procedure to configure logging options:
Go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Activity Logging.
For optimization purposes, configure Data Retention using the following options:
Retain activity data for
Specify the length of time that all types of data collected by GFI WebMonitor are retained. To configure how long to keep data, key in the number of days in this field.
- The default value is set to 365 days.
- Data is deleted after the specified period expires.
- Activity data affects database size, so you can save space by storing activity data for a shorter period.
- Data older than the specified number of days is no longer available in Dashboard.
- Reports defined for earlier periods are empty.
Retain Event Log data for
Define the length of time that event log data is kept in the database. After the specified period expires, only Event Log data is deleted. Other data collected by GFI WebMonitor is not affected by this option. We recommend setting a shorter retention period when Full URL logging is enabled.
Note: When Event Log data is deleted, the information in the Event Log column in Bandwidth, Activity, and Security dashboards will no longer be available. Some detailed reports are also affected.