SummaryError 1075 encountered when starting the GFI FaxMaker server service
The below information pertains to when FaxMaker's services, particularly the 'GFI FaxMaker server' service, fail to start and error 1075 is encountered, as seen when trying to start from Windows services.
ENVIRONMENT ASSUMPTIONSThis generally happens when upgrading FaxMaker with corrupt or leftover registry keys from previous installations, including 3rd party.
Upgrading or a clean installation was successful and services were running without issues, but after a reboot, the service(/s) no longer start.
SOLUTION 1Open services.msc and try to start the service(/s). If the message shows that the service cannot start due to dependencies missing or marked for deletion, then see the following for each affected service, most likely just for the FaxMaker server service:
- Open the properties for the respective service and go to the "Dependencies" tab
- here we should see the "Message Queuing" service and also, if using a Brooktrout card from Dialogic, the "Brooktrout Boston Host Service"
- Ensure that all dependencies can be and are started
- the "Brooktrout Boston Host Service", by default is installed with a Startup Type of "manual". Set this service to automatic and start it
- if the "Brooktrout Boston Host Service" doesn't start due to being marked for deletion, see here
- If all dependencies are started, but it still shows the same error message, we need to see what other dependency that service has in registry. Open regedit and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services
- Locate the key for the respective service
- the name can be found in the services.msc by going to the properties of the service in question and looking at the "General' tab > "Service name:"
- an example for "GFI FaxMaker Fax Server" is "fmserver"
- Once the key is located, check for the string called "DependOnService". We should see "MSMQ" and another service, most likely "bostservice"
- bostservice is the Brooktrout driver from Dialogic and necessary if using a Brooktrout card (see step 2.)
- Edit string and remove "bostservice"
- Repeat steps 4 through 6 for the other 2 locations
- Reboot server. The affected service should now start.
- Uninstall FaxMaker
- settings should not be lost, but a backup is recommended
- Reboot server
- this is not optional; if a reboot is not done, the error will not be resolved, as the registry needs to be reloaded
- Install FaxMaker
- Make sure you are logged in as the Administrator or a domain admin
- Right-click the install file > Properties, click on Unblock button if available
- OPTIONAL, but recommended:
- Disable or set to never notify the UAC (a reboot will be required)
- Disable any Antivirus/Backup software running at the moment on the machine.
- Add AV exclusions
- Install with right-click > Run as Administrator
An example of this resolution with TV recordings can be found in GFI-180416-635126.
Direct path to recordings: \\10.244.50.150\Recordings\2018\04_April\GFI-180416-635126