For a quick video demonstration on how to create fax blasts with GFI FaxMaker view the video below:
This 3x3 video explains how to send fax blasts with GFI FaxMaker and is divided in the following sections:
- Create the list of contacts
- Use Microsoft Word to create a mail merge
- Verify fax transmission
Further details on each section can be found below.
Create the list of contacts
- Open Microsoft Excel
Create a list of contacts your wish to send your fax blast to in the following format:
- Column 1: Fax_Number
- Column 2: Name
- Column 3: Company
Column 4: Invoice_Number
- Note: You can have as many columns and recipients as you like within the contact Excel Sheet
- Save and close the contact sheet
Use Microsoft Word to create a mail merge
- Open Microsoft Word
- Click on the 'Mailings' Tab
- Click on the 'Start Mail Merge' button and select 'Letters'
- Now click on the 'Select Recipients' button and select 'Use Existing List'
- In the 'Select Data Source' popup, specify the contact Excel sheet created in step 1, and click on 'Open'
From the 'Select Table' dialogue box, select 'Sheet1'
- Note: Ensure that the 'First row of data contains column headers' checkbox is selected
You can now create your fax which you wish to send. You are able to insert any fields you have entered in your contact sheet by clicking on the 'Insert Merge Field' button and selecting the appropriate field
- Note: Since the fax will be sent out using the NetPrintQueue2Fax printer, you will need to insert a 'FAX:' before your fax number in the mail merge
- <Fax_Number> would be your column containing your recipient fax numbers in your Excel contact sheet
At the end of the page, include '@#' to indicate that that is the last line of the fax page
- Note: You can use the 'Preview Results' button in Microsoft Word to check if Microsoft Word is correctly populating the data from your contact sheet
- Once you are satisfied with the results, click on the 'Finish & Merge' button, and select 'Print Documents'
- Select the network NetPrintQueue2Fax printer located on your GFI FaxMaker server and select 'OK'
Verify fax transmission
Once the mail merge is completed and sent to be printed to the NetPrintQueue2Fax, you can confirm if you faxes are being sent out correctly from Microsoft Outlook and the GFI FaxMaker monitor.
GFI FaxMaker monitor
- Open the GFI FaxMaker Monitor
- Click on the 'Fax Server' node. You will able to see which faxes are currently being sent out from your mail merge
- Click on the 'Queued Faxes' node. Depending on the amount of lines you have connected to your fax server and the amount of recipients in your mail merge, you can see the remaining faxes to be sent out once lines are free
For every fax sent out, a transmission report is received in your mailbox, also containing a copy of the actual fax which has been sent.