Versions / Builds AffectedLanguard 2012 and 2014 (version 11.x)
Problem SummaryWhen the NetBIOSname of the domain is different than the DNS name, computers will move to the root of the Domain node from the appropriate OU for the computer after a scan.
TT / JIRAID210
How to Identify1. Customer reports the problem that after a scan computers are moving from their assigned OU in the Dashboard tree to the root of the domain.
2. From a command prompt verify the values for %UserDomain% (the domain's Netbios name) and the %UserDnsDomain% (the domain's DNS Name).
As shown in the example below the %UserDomain% is TEST and the %UserDnsDomain% is TEST-INC.COM:
C:\Users\Administrator> echo %UserDomain%
C:\Users\Administrator> echo %UserDnsDomain%
1. if the %UserDomain% is TEST and the %UserDnsDomain% is TEST.LOCAL this article does not apply.
Workaround / Fix Details1. Request toolcfg_simple.xml file from the directory
Standard: ... ProgramData\GFI\LanGuard 11\ OR
... \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GFI\LanGuard 11\ on Win XP or earlier
2. Edit the file "toolcfg_simple.xml" using notepad editor
3. Copy the following text and paste it into the document immediately after a " tag"
4. Replace the TEST value above with the value you found for %UserDomain% (the NETBIOS name)
5. Replace the TEST-INC.COM value with the value you found for %UserDnsDomain% (the domains's DNS name)
6. Do a network discovery scan on all the computers under the Domain Name node
Required Actions1. Verify whether the conditions are made
2. Explain the problem to the customer
3. Perform the workaround
4. Verify if the workaround rectify the issue
5. Recommend the customer regular use network discovery scans (at least weekly)