Instant Messaging (or IM) policies provide control over the use of instant messaging clients. If a policy is breached, GFI WebMonitor uses the configured policy to determine what action to take.
The Instant Messaging Policy feature can allow or block access to the following clients:
- MSN® Messenger and Microsoft Windows Live® Messenger
- Gmail Chat/GTalk
- Yahoo! Messenger
- Facebook Chat
- Online instant messaging portals (Browser-based web messenger services supporting various IM and chatting services)
A list of online instant messaging portals is embedded within GFI WebMonitor and is automatically updated when new patterns are discovered and released. The default list includes the following portals:
A Default IM and Social Control Policy is enabled when GFI WebMonitor is installed. It is pre-configured to allow access to all instant messaging clients to all users on your network. The default policy can be edited, but cannot be disabled or deleted. Any changes made to the default policy apply to all users.
NOTE: Certain fields in the default policy cannot be edited. These include Policy Name and Apply Policy To.
Creating a new IM Control Policy
To create a new IM Control Policy:
- Go to Settings > Policies > Internet Policies
- In the Instant Messaging / Social Control Policies area, click Add Policy
- In the Policy Name field, type a policy name
- In the Filter area, specify which instant messaging client to block or allow under Instant Messaging Controls
In the Apply Policy To field, specify Users, Groups or IPs for whom the new policy applies, then click Add
- NOTE: Proxy Authentication must be enabled, otherwise you will not be able to add Active Directory users.
- In the Notify Breacher area, click ON to enable notifications to send when a user infringes this policy. Provide the body text of the notification email in the available space.
- Use the Notify Administrators area to send notifications when the downloaded content infringes this policy. Add the administrator’s email address and provide the body text of the notification email.
- NOTE: All added policies take priority over the default policy.