Versions / Builds AffectedWebMonitor 2012/2013
Problem SummaryAfter observing the data sent from itunes itunes Web Server "http://ax.init.itunes.apple.com" or any other "itunes.apple.com" Url through the proxy, the authentication tokens are not sent correctly from the itunes application.
TT / JIRAID576
How to IdentifyWhen starting the itunes application and the user is attempting to connect to the itunes "store" some times the proxy authentication request fails and the user is prompted to enter the proxy credentials several time.
This issue is caused by the iTunes application not passing the authentication tokens correctly and the problem can be observed when using any external proxy (including GFI Proxy and ISA/TMG).
Workaround / Fix DetailsPossible Workarounds:
1. Inserting the credentials requested by iTunes as many times as needed, until the first connection is established
2. open another application (such as an internet browser) which uses the proxy authentication and after the application manages to connect, open the iTunes client. After you open the iTunes client no credentials should be requested because the authentication was made for the previous application
3. Adding the IP address of the client uses the iTunes application to the "IP's that will bypass the authentication"
If the client IP address is added to the list, no application on the client machine would be required to authenticatie
4. Create a proxy exclusion in either the client proxy settings (Internet Options -> Connections tab -> LAN settings buttons -> Advanced button) or in the proxypac.pac file (if using WPAD for automatic detection - see article http://kb.gfi.com/articles/SkyNet_Article/KBID003673)
Note: Adding the itunes store destination or any other itunes Url destination in the Whitelist it will not bypass authentication since the whitelist option refers to Web sites that will not be filtered by the WebMonitor filter only.
Required Actions- Explain the cause of this issue to the customer and provide the possible workarounds
- Attach this article to the case