Versions / Builds AffectedAll Current Versions / builds
Problem SummaryCustomer sees a noticeable number of sites categorized as 'Unknown'
TT / JIRAID415
How to IdentifyCustomer complains of this issue.
Have him send you reports or screenshots showing how bad the issue is.
Required Actions1. Document the following in the case notes:
* Severity of the issue (what percentage is being reported as unknown)
* Customer's environment (number of users going through Webmonitor)
2. Explain some or all the following to the customer:
* In past versions (2009 and 2011) the problem was much worse due to the way the connection information was saved and recorded into the database. We used to see "Unknown" sites accounting for up to 30% of the sites visited sometimes. In GFI Webmonitor 2012, the developers changed this and it is much better. However, like you are seeing, we still have issues in this respect.
* The problem severity for customers depends on the customer's number of users and the amount of web activity. The more simultaneous connections, the more the problem will be apparent. Consider that for each webpage fetched the browser will make separate requests for between 20 - 50 different elements to be downloaded. Each of these requires a separate lookup because they don't all come from the same host or domain. Therefore, when there is a lot of activity, and too many lookups to service at the same time, rather than delaying sending data to the client, for a few of them it lists the site as "unknown". Subsequent lookups for the same host usually resolve correctly.
* The developers are aware of the problem and have made changes to GFI Webmonitor Release 2 (to be released in mid-September) that has made further improvements. However, there still remains some communication issues between modules that have to be made to fix this completely. These changes are a little more sensitive and require considerably more testing. So, they expect them to be in the December/January release.
3. Close the case.