- This article shares the processes for backing up the configuration settings and database in GFI EndPointSecurity.
- GFI recommends keeping a backup of the product configuration data. In case of data loss, GFI will not be able to recover your configuration if a backup is not available.
- If using backup software to back up data, it is required to stop the GFI EndPointSecurity services before the backup starts and to start the services again once the backup is complete.
- Not stopping the services during a backup by third-party backup software may cause GFI EndPointSecurity to malfunction.
- If you are unsure about securely performing the steps mentioned in this article, always make a backup before making any changes or reach out to support for more help.
See the below sections to understand the process options for backing up configuration settings and the database:
Backing up Configuration Settings
There are two options to back up configuration settings. Using the wizard or doing it manually. Please review the steps for each option, as indicated below:
Option 1: Using the Import and Export Configurations Wizard
Before we discuss the process to back up configuration settings, please note that only the following configurations can be exported using the Import and Export Configuration Wizard:
- Protection Policies
- Security Settings
- File Control
- Logging and Alerting
- Alerting Options
- Database Options
- Custom Messages
- Advanced Options
- Auto Discovery Options
- Log Browser Queries
- License Key
Follow these steps to back up configuration settings using the wizard:
- Open the GFI EndPointSecurity console.
- Go to File > Import and export configurations…
- Select the Export the desired configurations to file option and click Next.
- Select the location where the file will be saved and click Next.
- Select the configuration options you would like to export and click Next.
- Once complete, a '.esecbkp' is created in the location specified.
- Make a backup of this file.
Option 2: Manual Configuration Backup
- To manually back up the GFI EndPointSecurity configuration, make a backup of the following directory: ..\GFI\EndPointSecurity\Data
- All configuration settings for GFI EndPointSecurity are included in this Data folder.
- Restoring the configuration manually from the Data folder should only be done with the same build of GFI EndPointSecurity.
- It is recommended to use the Import and Export Configurations Wizard to restore configurations from a Data folder.
Backing up Database
- When using a Microsoft SQL Server for reporting, the database needs to be backed up separately.
- Refer to Microsoft Support article Create a Full Database Backup (SQL Server) for options on how to back up a Microsoft SQL Server database.