Versions / Builds Affected
EventsManager 2013 SR1, EventsManager 13.2
EventsManager is not able to collect SQL events due to incorrect assemblies installed on the server
TT / JIRAID
How to Identify
Look for the error Failed to initialize object as reader by going to the Status tab > Job Activity > Operational History pane.
EventsManager is using the assembly Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo version 9.0.242 that comes with the installation kit, but the file has been replaced by another version.
- This issue can occur for SQL server 2012 and later versions.
- GFI EventsManager has trace definitions already installed for SQL Server 2000/2005/2008/2008R2
- Gathering SQL server events is not supported for Express editions, since the Profiler feature is not included. Copy the Trace Definitions files from SQL server that matches the version that you have installed on the GFI EventsManager Sever to override the incorrect assemblies:
- Stop all GFI EventsManager services under services.msc
- Make a backup of the folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\on the GFI EventsManager server.
- Go to SQL Server Eventsource and copy the files according to your version:
- SQL Server 2012 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\
- SQL Server 2014 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\
- SQL Server 2016 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\
- SQL Server 2017 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\
- SQL Server 2012 -
- Paste the files on the GFI EventsManager server in the following path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\"
- Start the GFI EventsManager services under services.msc. Another possible solution: Install SQL Server management studio version that matches the SQL Server eventsource version on GFI EventsManager to override the incorrect assemblies:
- Version 2012 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29062
- Version 2014 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299
- Version 2016/2017 - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms
- Repeat the steps from 1 to 5 (The steps need to be repeated only on the GFI EventsManager server)
- Attach the article to the case.
- Follow the workaround.
- If the issue persists after applying the above steps, contact level 3 technicians for further instructions.