Unable to gather events from SQL Server 2016 showing an error message: Failed to initialize object as reader.
GFI EventsManager 13
The required profiler trace definitions are not present on the GFI EventsManager server and/or access is denied to collect events.
To collect event logs from SQL Server 2016, ensure to have the following pre-conditions in place:
- Install SQL Server Management Studio 17.4 on the SQL Server.
- Enable Named Pipes option under SQL Server Configuration Manager for the SQL Server instance.
- Enable Both failed and successful logins option under SQL Server Management Studio > Instance Properties.
- Ensure that the SQL "sa" account is not locked under SQL Server Management Studio > Security > Logins.
- Ensure the SQL "sa" account is specified under GFI EventsManager > Configuration > Event Sources > Select SQL Server > Properties > Connection Settings.
Follow these steps to transfer the trace definitions files:
- Copy trace definitions from the following path located on SQL Server Management Studio 17.4 (SQL Server 2016):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Profiler\TraceDefinitions\
- Paste trace definitions on GFI EventsManager server in the following path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Profiler\ TraceDefinitions\
- Restart the SQL Server service.
- Restart GFI Database service, GFI EventsManager Monitor and GFI EventsManager service.