When trying to use the Import Export Tool (IET) to export items from public folders (via EWS) into GFI Archiver, all public folders show as if they contain 0 items (in the dialog where one chooses which folders are to be processed). The public folders do contain more than 0 items though. For example, in
- UserX has been granted ownership permissions on all these public folders in Exchange.
- When logging into OWA as UserX, we see items within the mentioned public folders.
- When authenticating as UserX in the IET and then choosing the mailbox of UserX in the next dialog, the mentioned folders are visible - but each shows a 0 behind it.
- Connecting to Exchange via EWSEditor and authenticating as UserX, the TotalCount property for each mentioned public folder shows as 0 BACKGROUND. At the time of writing it is assumed that an EWS method called FindFolders is not fully supported on public folders. However, the IET relies on it.
The issue was observed on a multiserver Exchange 2013 SP1 environment. For more information, see the thread Why does TotalCount property on public folder always return 0 items? which potentially explains the background within Exchange a little further.
Connect via MAPI instead of EWS:
- Try the export via MAPI instead of EWS (note that requirements and permissions differ).
- If the above fails, escalate with TS files and details of the Exchange environment.