Versions / Builds Affected20140616
Problem SummaryEmails exported to MSG format while only having CDO/MAPI installed might be corrupted (showing incorrect characters)
TT / JIRAID2718
How to IdentifyIn the initial case behind this known issue, a Czech customer found some inconsistencies when comparing emails downloaded as EML vs. MSG.
The customer has only CDO/MAPI installed, but no Outlook.
The MSG file contained some incorrect characters.
1. The EML showed the correct word "Příliš" where the MSG showed "Přílią" instead.
2. The EML showed the correct word "Tomáš" where the MSG showed "Tomáą" instead.
Note that MailArchiver uses MAPI to basically convert the EML to MSG. Outlook is more feature rich and seems to handle such situation better than CDO/MAPI.
In this particular situation the same email converted OK when running older versions of MailArchiver though, e.g. 20130510 did not produce an MSG with incorrect characters while only having CDI/MAPI installed.
To properly identify the issue:
1. Collect the EML and MSG from the customer and compare them
2. Archive the EML into a test installation running a build listed under "Versions / Builds Affected" on which only CDO/MAPI is installed (NO OUTLOOK!)
3. Download the email as MSG and confirm that it appears "corrupt"
4. Archive the EML into a test installation running an older version (e.g. build 20130510) on which only CDO/MAPI is installed (NO OUTLOOK!)
5. Download the email as MSG and confirm that it appears "OK"
Workaround / Fix DetailsFixed in MARC2015 build 20141117
Required ActionsUpgrade to the version mentioned in the fix section or apply patch