AnswerThe following features of GFI Archiver require Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI (Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects):
Import Export Tool
- Importing items from PST files into GFI Archiver (requires Microsoft Outlook)
- Importing items from Microsoft Exchange mailboxes using MAPI (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI)
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into PST files (requires Microsoft Outlook)
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into MSG files (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI)
Mailbox Restore Tool
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into a PST file (requires Microsoft Outlook)
- Exporting items from GFI Archiver into a Microsoft Exchange mailbox (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI)
- Note: If exporting to Microsoft Exchange 2013 on a separate host CDO / MAPI is required (Microsoft Outlook does not fulfill the requirement in this scenario)
Mailbox Folder Structure Retrieval
- When used in a Microsoft Exchange 2003 environment (requires Microsoft Outlook (32bit only!) or CDO / MAPI)
Web page > Archive tab > Message view
- Download items in MSG format from GFI Archiver (requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI)
The following versions of Microsoft Outlook are supportedIf running a 64bit version of Microsoft Outlook on GFI MailArchiver 2014 build 20140616 or newer
- Microsoft Outlook 2013
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Microsoft Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Outlook 2003
- When upgrading to a newer version of GFI Archiver, installation files mentioned in this procedure will be overwritten with default versions making the changes void and ineffective. It is therefore suggested to keep a record of this procedure and follow it once again directly after upgrading to keep this functionality intact.
- This procedure requires to edit files manually. If edited incorrectly it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Stop all GFI Archiver services
- Open the folder ..\InstallationFolder\Store\Data
- Open the file product.config in Notepad
- Add the following line within the <appSettings> section: <add key="UseMAPIUtility_x64" value="true" />
- Save the file
- Start all GFI Archiver services
- Installing Microsoft Outlook allows to make use of most the mentioned features whereby CDO / MAPI only allows to make use of some of them. Microsoft Outlook contains its own MAPI which is more feature rich.
- Never install both (CDO/ MAPI and Microsoft Outlook) on the same computer. This can cause MAPI to malfunction and problems for GFI Archiver. To address such a situation uninstall Microsoft Outlook and CDO / MAPI, reboot the server, reinstall one of them.
- Ensure to keep Microsoft Outlook fully up-to-date in regard of service packs and patches.
- If a 32bit version of Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI is installed ensure to use the 32bit versions of the Import Export Tool and the Mailbox Restore tool.
- If a 64bit version of Microsoft Outlook is installed ensure to use the 64bit versions of the Import Export Tool and the Mailbox Restore tool.
- Support for 64bit Microsoft Outlook versions for the mentioned features was introduced with GFI MailArchiver 2013 R2.
- 64bit Microsoft Outlook is not supported for the Mailbox Folder Structure Retrieval feature when used in Microsoft Exchange 2003 environments with MAPI.
- GFI MailArchiver 2013 SR1 or older did only support the 32bit versions of Microsoft Outlook for the mentioned features.
- Never install Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI on a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server. Microsoft Exchange 2003 contains its own version of CDO / MAPI.
- Microsoft Outlook or CDO / MAPI can be installed on Microsoft Exchange 2007, 2010 or 2013.
- The latest version of CDO / MAPI can be downloaded from: http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=MAR_PreReqMAPICDO
- The Import Export Tool can be run from another computer than the GFI Archiver server.