This article provides a description of functionality for Retention Policies
GFI Archiver checks email content against any retention policies configured at the time of archiving (or when manually running Retroactive Retention). The retention period applies to the archive date and not the emails actual sent/received date.
- Example: If an email received in March 2011 was archived in January 2012 and matches a 30 day retention policy, then GFI Archiver would remove the email in 30 days from the date it entered the archive.
GFI Archiver first checks email against the highest priority retention policy. If the email matches the configured conditions, retention policy is associated with the email. If the email does not match the highest priority retention policy, GFI Archiver will check against the next retention policy configured, according to priority.
This process is repeated until email either matches a configured retention policy or there are no more retention policies. When an email does not match any retention policy, GFI Archiver stores the email in the archive store indefinitely.
- Retention policies created or modified after GFI Archiver has already stored an email in an archive store will not affect that email. This is because GFI Archiver checks emails against retention policies only at the time of archiving.
- When running a Retroactive Retention job emails are being evaluated against the current set of retention policies again. This can be useful when there is the need to edit the set of policies.
- An email can match only one retention policy. Thus, the priorities you assign to the retention policies are very important.
- Any email that matches a retention policy where the configured action is ‘delete email immediately’ is discarded immediately without ever being stored in an archive store.
- Any email that matches a retention policy where the configured action is set to delete after a number of days, is stored in an archive store. After the previously configured time has elapsed, GFI Archiver purges the email from the archive store.