This article is relevant if you are using a Firebird database as the GFI Archiver database backend or with GFI MailEssentials. As part of its normal operations, the underlying Firebird engine makes use of temporary files (fb_sort files) which are stored by default in the %temp% folder.
Follow the procedure as described below if you are running out of disk space on the default system drive and need to change the location of where these temp files are stored:
- Stop all GFI Archiver or GFI MailEssentials services.
- Create a folder in the location you want the temporary files to be stored. Example:
- Open the Control Panel and click System.
- Go to Advanced tab and click Environment Variables.
- Under the System variables section, click New.
FIREBIRD_TMPas the Variable name.
- Enter the folder location created in step 2 as the Variable value. For example:
- Start all GFI Archiver or GFI MailEssentials services.
NOTE: For improved performance, it is recommended to place the temp folder on a separate physical disk other than the Firebird database.