This article is relevant if you are using a Firebird database as the GFI Archiver database backend or with GFI MailEssentials. As part of its normal operations, the underlying Firebird engine makes use of temporary files (fb_sort files) which are stored by default in the %temp% folder. Should you be running out of disk space on the default system drive and need to change the location of where these temp files are stored, follow the procedure below:
- Stop all GFI Archiver or GFI MailEssentials services.
- Create a folder in the location you want the temporary files to be stored. Example:
- Open the Control Panel and click System.
- Go to Advanced tab and click Environment Variables.
- Under the System variables section, click New.
FIREBIRD_TMP as the Variable name.
- Enter the folder location created in step 2 as the Variable value. Example:
- Start all GFI Archiver or GFI MailEssentials services.
: For improved performance, it is recommended to place the temp folder on a separate physical disk other than the Firebird database.