This article describes the issue when you are searching for text which contains special characters ($ or #) and emails containing these characters are not returned by search queries.
An email contains the text: AB&C
When searching for "AB&C" the email is not found.
An email contains the text: Ticket# ABC-123456
When searching for "Ticket# ABC-123456" the email is not found.
- GFI Archiver
- All supported environment
The mentioned characters have a special meaning within the search engine. Searching for text containing such characters is not possible by default.
Note: This procedure requires to edit files manually. If edited incorrectly it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Open the web interface and navigate to Configuration > Archive Stores.
- Pause indexing for all indexes.
- For GFI Archiver 2015 SR1 build 20150218 or newer:
- Open the web interface.
- Navigate to: Configuration > Archive Stores > Index Management.
- Ensure that the following setting is enabled: Enable built-in word breaker (recommended).
For GFI Archiver 2015 build 20141111 or older:
- Open the folder ..\InstallationFolder\Search\Viewers\
- Rename the existing file WordBrkShim.dll to WordBrkShim.dll-inactive.
If renaming the file fails, stop the GFI Archiver Search service and try again.
- Open the folder ..\InstallationFolder\Search\Data\
- Open the following file in Notepad: product.config
- Add the following keys within the
<appSettings>section to the file:
<add key="AlphabetFile" value="alphabet.abc"/>
<add key="SynonymChar" value="$"/>
- Save the file.
- Download the alphabet.abc zipped folder.
- Open the properties of the downloaded ZIP file and click the Unblock button if it is shown.
- Extract the file named alphabet.abc from the downloaded ZIP file into the folder: ..\InstallationFolder\Search\
- Stop all GFI Archiver services.
- Start all GFI Archiver services.
- Open the web interface and navigate to Configuration > Archive Stores
- Select one test archive store and rebuild its index.
- Wait until the rebuild is complete.
- Run test search queries against this rebuilt index to verify the results.
- Once you have verified that it is returning emails with the special characters, rebuild the other indexes too (preferably one by one).
Note: When upgrading to a newer version of GFI Archiver, installation files mentioned in this procedure will be overwritten with default versions making the changes void and ineffective. It is therefore suggested to keep a record of this procedure and follow it once again directly after upgrading to keep this functionality intact.