This article describes the issue and its resolution when you are unable to open any MSG file that GFI Archiver has created (for example using the Download as Email (MSG) button in the Archive page or the Import Export Tool).
You may see the following errors when attempting to open these files:
- Cannot open Outlook
- Cannot read the item
- GFI Archiver (build 20131111)
- All versions older than GFI Archiver 2014 build 20140616
- Microsoft Outlook x64 being installed on the GFI Archiver server
There may be two causes for this issue:
- GFI Archiver cannot utilize MAPI correctly to convert the email into MSG format.
- GFI Archiver requires Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI to convert emails into MSG format. It assumes that one of these components is installed in an x86 version. If an x64 version of Microsoft Outlook is installed, GFI Archiver must be configured accordingly in order the convert emails properly.
- Ensure that either Microsoft Outlook 2003 or newer or Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 is installed on the GFI Archiver server (but not both).
- Open Control Panel > Programs and Features
- If you see both of the following as installed:
- Microsoft Outlook (might be part of Microsoft Office)
- Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects (CDO/MAPI)
- Uninstall Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1
- Reboot the server.
- Install Microsoft Outlook.
- If running GFI Archiver 2014 build 20140616 or newer and having a 64-bit version of Microsoft Outlook installed, follow the steps mentioned below on the computer where GFI Archiver is installed:
Note: This procedure requires to edit files manually. If edited incorrectly it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Stop all GFI Archiver services.
- Open the following file in Notepad: ..\InstallationFolder\Store\Data\product.config
- Add the following key within the
<add key="UseMAPIUtility_x64" value="true" />
- Save the file.
- Start all GFI Archiver services.
- This feature requires CDO/MAPI or Microsoft Outlook to be installed on the GFI Archiver server. Please refer to the following article for details: GFI Archiver's Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI requirements.
- 64-bit versions of Microsoft Outlook on GFI MailArchiver 2013 R2 build 20131111 does not allow to download items in MSG format successfully.
- 64-bit versions of Microsoft Outlook are not supported on GFI MailArchiver 2013 SR1 build 20130723 or older.
- Do not install Microsoft Outlook or CDO/MAPI on a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server.