PROBLEMWhen exporting data from GFI Archiver into a PST file using the MailboxRestore Tool or the Import Export Tool (IET) the tool being used might crash or hang during the export process.
- GFI Archiver
- Any supported environment
SOLUTIONGFI Archiver requires Microsoft Outlook to handle any processing related to PST files and therefore relies heavily on Microsoft Outlook.
The following points are best practices and help to against generic crashes or the tools to hang when handling PST files:
- Ensure that Microsoft Outlook has the latest service pack and patches installed
- Ensure that Microsoft Windows has the latest service pack and patches installed
- Ensure that the Microsoft .NET Framework has the latest service pack and patches installed
- It is recommended to have a newer version of Microsoft Outlook installed rather than an older one (for example: install Microsoft Outlook 2013 instead of 2003)
- It is recommended to have a 64bit version of Microsoft Outlook installed rather than a 32bit version
- Disable anti-virus software completely for the duration of the export
- Reduce other system load while performing exports, for example:
- Stop other applications / services which cause high system load
- Avoid to perform an export during times when maintenance jobs like a system backup is running
- The MailboxRestore Tool and the Import Export Tool (IET) can be run remotely (on another computer than the GFI Archiver server). This can be useful to isolate the tool from external and environmental factors which impact the export process.