This article answers the query: Why are imported emails archived for all recipients rather than only the specified user?
When importing emails from a PST-file (Personal Storage File), you need to specify a user account that will own these emails once they are imported into GFI Archiver. When importing emails from an Exchange mailbox, the owner is automatically determined.
Consider this Example:
- A PST-file holds the following email information:
- From: UserA@domain.com
- To: UserB@domain.com
- CC: UserC@domain.com
- When using the Import Export Tool to export this email from this PST-file, you manually specify the owner as UserA@domain.com.
- When the email is imported in GFI Archiver all three users are assigned owners of this email.
Behavior of Clean and Upgrade Installations Explained
A clean installation of GFI MailArchiver 2012 (or newer) behaves differently than an upgraded version of GFI MailArchiver 2012 (or newer) or previous versions in regard to this topic.
GFI MailArchiver 2012 or newer - clean installation
- The software assigns ownership of an exported email to all recipients and senders.
GFI MailArchiver 2012 or newer - upgraded from a previous major release or previous versions
- The software assigns ownership only to the specified or automatically determined user account
Process to Correct Behavior of Clean Installation
For a clean installation of GFI MailArchiver 2012 or newer, the following procedure can be used to force the old behavior:
Important Note: This procedure requires to edit files manually. If edited incorrectly it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Stop all GFI Archiver services.
- Open the folder
- Create a subfolder named
- Create a copy of the file MArcSettings.xml into the Backup subfolder.
- Open MArcSettings.xml in notepad.
- Search for the key named
- Set its value to false. The key should read:
- Save the changes.
- Start the services that were stopped in step 1.
The described behavior is by design. This change was made in regards to the new Single Instance Storage features, which were introduced with GFI MailArchiver 2012.