AnswerIf the GFI MailEssentials reports.mdb reaches the file size of 1.7 GB, the database will be automatically renamed to reports_<date>.mdb and a new reports.mdb will be created. Microsoft recommends that a MDB file should not exceed the file size of 1.7 GB. When this event occurs.the administrator will be notified though a notification email about the location of the renamed MDB file.
Should the administrator wish to browse the previous GFI MailEssentials reports.mdb using the GFI MailEssentials Reports, then please follow the steps below:
- Install GFI MailEssentials on a separate machine. This installation will only be used to browse the previous GFI MailEssentials reporting database
- Copy the previous GFI MailEssentials reports.mdb database from the GFI MailEssentials server to the new GFI MailEssentials server
- Once the transfer is complete, open the GFI MailEssentials configuration.
- Expand the Reporting > Settings
- Ensure that Microsoft Access is selected as the database type (option not available after GFI MailEssentials 2014 R2 - see notes)
- Copy the directory path from step 2 into the file location and hit "Apply" to save the settings
- View the contents of the reporting database from the GFI MailEssentials Reports
- You can compress the GFI MailEssentials reports.mdb before it reaches the 1.7 GB limit. More information on how this can be done can be found at KBID002305
- Starting with GFI MailEssentials 2014 R2. Microsoft Access databases will no longer be offered as an option. Instead Firebird database or Microsoft SQL database can be configured for GFI MailEssentials Reporter.
- Firebird databases do not have a limitation of 1.7 GB file size.