The Archive Assistant plug-in enables you to manually archive Microsoft Outlook® emails, calendar items and files (such as documents or images) into GFI Archiver.
The Archive Assistant is installed via Active Directory® Group Policy Objects (GPO) or via manual install.
By default, items stored in GFI Archiver are organized in an identical folder structure as in the Microsoft Outlook® mailbox.
In order to configure settings for the automatic import of emails and calendar items from Microsoft Outlook® mailboxes, carry out the following steps:
- Go to Configuration > Archive Assistant.
- Click New Default Import Settings.
Once the default import options are set, the option name changes to Update Default Import Settings.
- Specify how frequent you want to process the emails.
- Once runs the import process one time only. You can schedule the process in the following screen that appears when this import option is selected.
- Check for new emails every runs the import process periodically. Specify the interval in the provided field. The Schedule screen is skipped if this import option is selected.
- Specify the time period for the import process.
- All Time runs the import process indefinitely.
- Prior to enables you to keep recent email on your mail server and archive only older emails. For example, if you want users to keep only emails received in the last 30 days in their mailboxes while freeing the mail server of emails older than 30 days, set the Prior to date to 30 days and select Permanently delete archived emails immediately.
- Custom runs the import process for a limited period of time. Specify a start and end date using the provided fields.
- Select one or both of the archive types.
- Email imports emails only.
- Calendar Items imports Microsoft Outlook calendar items.
- Optionally, archive a specific email folder. For example, Inbox.
If using special characters in folder names, the folder path can be overwritten with the desired folder path using the following conventions:
\ (backslash) is represented by /\
/ (forward slash) is represented by //
To input a folder path for the following folder structure:
Input the path as:
- Set the maximum size of the emails to import.
Default is set to 2 MB.
- Click Next.
If in step 3 above, you have selected to run the import process Once, the Schedule window is displayed. The Schedule screen is skipped if the Check for new emails every import option is selected:
- Schedule the one-time import process.
- Schedule Import sets the import process frequency by checking the desired days.
- Start Time defines the time of day during which the process starts.
- End Time defines the time at which the process stops.
- Click Next.
- Choose any of the following email deletion policy:
- Do not delete archived emails keeps all emails from being deleted after they are archived.
- Permanently delete archived emails immediately deletes emails as soon as they are archived.
- Permanently delete archived emails after n days specifies the number of days to keep local copies of messages after these have been archived. The default is 30 days.
- Choose any of the following calendar items deletion policy:
- Do not delete archived calendar items keeps all calendar items from being deleted after they are archived.
- Permanently delete archived calendar items immediately deletes calendar items as soon as they are archived.
- Permanently delete archived calendar items after n days specifies the number of days to keep local copies of calendar items after these have been archived. The default is 30 days.
- Click Finish.