This article explains specific techniques that improve the performance of Kerio Connect and discusses the requirements and potential causes of Outlook performance issues.
You may encounter installation issues with Outlook when using the Kerio Outlook Connector, such as slowness in the loading of particular folders or other operations. This article provides the prerequisites and the points to consider when optimizing your deployment process.
- System Requirements
- Disable 'Group by' View
- Disable Outlook Instant Search
- Disable Other Plugins
- Folder Synchronization Limits
- The Kerio Outlook Connector Offline Edition (KOFF) runs a separate executable program called KoffBackend.exe. This program performs much of the caching of data from the local email database. On a large mailbox, this process may consume upwards of several hundred megabytes. It is recommended for the computer using KOFF to have at least 4 GB of RAM.
- It is recommended to have a PC running on SSD to run KOFF smoothly. KOFF caches and stores the emails locally and having SSD improves the overall performance.
Disable 'Group by' View
- In Outlook 2003 and above, there is an option to show emails in groups.
- If you find that folders (such as the Sent Items) take an excessive time to load, it is recommended to disable the 'Group by' view, which is the view option Show in groups.
Disable Outlook Instant Search
In Outlook 2007, there is an instant search option that can cause slowness in Outlook with KOFF. We have noticed significant improvements after disabling the Outlook instant search feature.
Disable Other Plugins
- Other MAPI or anti-virus plugins may conflict with the Kerio Outlook Connector, resulting in slow load times or message downloads.
- If none of the options above works, it is recommended to temporarily disable any Outlook plugins to identify if there is a conflict causing the degraded performance.
- If the performance does not improve after disabling the plugin, please contact Kerio support to report the issue.
Folder Synchronization Limits
- With Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, and Outlook 2010, the maximum number of folders is 500.
- With Kerio Connect, we recommend keeping less than 10,000 items in each folder. If there are folders with over 10,000 items, please split those folders into smaller subfolders.