This article provides the steps to follow for create a dump for a process that is hanging.
To create a dump for a process that is hanging, please follow these instructions:
For LanGuard 2012 and above:
- Find the Process ID of the process in Task Manager.
- Run the following command:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\GFI\LanGuard 11 Agent\trouble.exe" --HandleCrash 2680Note: 2680 is the Process ID - include the quotes
- A mini-dump named trouble_<ProcessName>.dmp will be generated in the temporary folder of the current interactive/logged on user (i.e. the folder %temp%)
For all other GFI Products:
- Download and install the relevant version of the Windows debugging tools from:
- Create a folder named HangInfo in the root of the C: drive.
- Note: If you have limited space on the C:\ drive you can use an alternative drive with more space.
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the installation path of Debugging Tools. By default, this location is usually:
- 32 bit:
C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows
- 64 bit:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)
- 32 bit:
- Make sure the service which is having the problems is started
- Run the following command string by replacing 'Processname.exe' with the actual name of the service's executable:
ADPlus.vbs -hang -quiet -pn Processname.exe -o C:\HangInfo\
- At this point, you will want to hang the service, if possible. Once the service hangs, the memory dump will be created in the C:\HangInfo folder. You will see a folder that should start with Hang_Mode.
- Zip up the C:\HangInfo\ folder, rename the folder to <GFI-Case-Number>_dump.zip.
- Upload the zip file to our FTP server.
FTP Server details
- Use either IE6 or the My Computer window (address bar) to open the FTP site (Not IE7).
- Login to the FTP server by clicking on File in the top right corner of the browser, then Login As.
- You are now at a blank page where you can upload your file.
- Upload the zip file containing the Troubleshooter files by right clicking on the zip and choosing Copy, then right click in the blank space of the FTP site and paste.