AnswerGFI FaxMaker can be setup to use Least Cost Routing (LCR) as long as each GFI FaxMaker server is licensed for an unlimited number of users. This article shows how Least Cost Routing (LCR) is configured using two sites. As an example setup - Site A shall respond to 'sitea.faxmaker.com and site B shall respond to siteb.faxmaker.com .
The use of LCR will be available only when sending faxes from Microsot Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Web Acess (OWA). It is currently not possible to use LCR when using the GFI FaxMaker client, however this is being looked into and we shall update this article once this option is available.
A default GFI FaxMaker installation should be configured and running as desired on all sites prior to making these changes.
The following steps need to be done:
- Change the GFI FaxMaker registry on both sites
- Change the GFI FaxMaker configuration on both sites
- Configure Microsoft IIS SMTP server to receive emails from the other site
- Configure Microsoft Exchange server to forward messages for the local fax domain to the GFI FaxMaker server
- Configure forwarding of faxes from the other site to the correct FaxMaker server instance
- Open Regedit
- Browse to [HKLM/Software/GFI Fax & Voice\Faxmaker\Config\Sink]
- To the Domain string value, add sitea.faxmaker.com for the site A fax server and siteb.faxmaker.com for the site B fax server. This will enable the GFI FaxMaker sink to process the emails addressed to the new destination domain
- Open the GFI FaxMaker Configuration > General > Licensing > Properties
- Enter an unlimited user license key (if not already entered)
- While in the GFI FaxMaker Configuration change to Advanced > Miscellaneous > Properties
- Enable the Allow non-AD users to send faxes
- Ensure that the option Only allow users in the Licensed user list to send faxes is NOT enabled
- Open Control Panel > Administrator Tools > Internet Information Services
- Expand the Default SMTP Virtual Server
- Right click on the Domains node and choose New > Domain and choose Alias
- In the Name box type in sitea.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site A SMTP server or siteb.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site B SMTP server
Step 4. Configure Microsoft Exchange to forward messages for the local fax domain to the GFI FAXmaker server.This change is only required if GFI FaxMaker is installed on the Microsoft Exchange server.
- Open the properties of the existing GFI FaxMaker Connector and click on the Address Space tab
- Click on the Add button and choose SMTP
- In the email domain box type in sitea.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site A Microsoft Exchange server or siteb.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site B Microsoft Exchange server
- Click on OK to apply the changes
- From Microsoft Exchange System Manager, right click on Connectors and choose New > SMTP Connector
- In the Name box type in sitea.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site B Microsoft Exchange server or siteb.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site A Microsoft Exchange server
- Choose Forward all mail through this connector option
- Enter the IP address or mail server name of the remote site mail server
- Click on the Address Space tab, click Add and choose SMTP
- In the Email domain box type in sitea.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site B Exchange server OR siteb.faxmaker.com if you are on the Site A Microsoft Exchange server
- Confirm the changes made