XCAPI is a software-only Fax over IP (FoIP) solution from TE-SYSTEMS. The following article explains how to install XCAPI on your GFI FaxMaker server, and how to configure GFI FaxMaker to send and receive faxes utilizing XCAPI.
GFI FaxMaker 2013 and newer
1. Install XCAPI during the GFI FaxMaker Configuration Wizard, either after installation, or by launching it manually from Start > GFI FaxMaker > FaxMaker Configuration Wizard.
2. In the Welcome page of the GFI FaxMaker Configuration Wizard click Next to continue.
Selecting the XCAPI option
3. Click ISDN / CAPI devices, and select TE-SYSTEMS XCAPI Fax over IP. Click Next.
4. Click YES to start the XCAPI installation wizard.
5. Select the language used to install XCAPI and click Next.
6. In the Welcome page, click Next.
7. Click Yes if you accept the End User License Agreement.
8. Click Next to install XCAPI in the default location or Browse to select a different path.
9. Specify the Start menu program folder for XCAPI. Click Next to start installation.
10. Click Finish to complete installation.
- Open the XCAPI Configuration
- Click on the "Click here to add a controller" link under the Controller section
In the Controller Wizard select "Add Voice-over-IP controller (VoIP)" and click on the Next button
Select the appropriate Network Interface Card on the GFI FaxMaker machine which is able to communicate with your VoIP Gateway
- Next select your appropriate VoIP gateway which will be used to send and receive faxes. If the list included in XCAPI does not contain your PBX, consider to select a compatible or one of the generic environments such as "H.323 Gateway" or "SIP"
- Depending on the VoIP gateway selected in the previous screen, define the properties of the VoIP gateway. This generally consists of the IP address of the VoIP gateway and authentication settings (if the VoIP gateway requires authentication)
- Finally enter a meaningful description of the newly created controller and decide how many channels should be available for applications such as GFI FaxMaker
- Click on the Next button and Finish button to complete the wizard
At this point a controller has been created that will be used by GFI FaxMaker in order to send and receive faxes.
GFI FaxMaker FaxServer service and MTA service may need to be restarted when running the configuration wizard.
- XCAPI is pre-packaged with GFI FaxMaker. No additional downloads are required.
- XCAPI is supported in GFI FaxMaker 14.3 Service Release 1 and later
- Only one CAPI device can be installed on the same system. For more information, refer to: http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=FM_CAPIDeviceFound
When any changes are done in the XCAPI configuration, you need save the configuration by click on File > Save in the XCAPI configuration
The XCAPI Diagnostics located in the XCAPI program group contains useful information that can assist you in troubleshooting any issues you have with XCAPI controllers
XCAPI licenses are configured from the XCAPI configuration under the Licenses section
Open the GFI FaxMaker configuration
Click on the Lines / Devices node and select Properties in the right pane
Click on "Add.." to add the XCAPI controller
In the Add fax Line window, enter the settings as follows:
Available fax lines: select any fax line available
Device type: ISDN PRI / IP CAPI 2.0 devices
Physical line/port: Select any available Controller / Channel
Under the Device tab, select the ISDN type "TE-SYSTEMS XCAPI"
Click OK to save your fax lines
Restart GFI FaxMaker FaxServer service
The TE-SYSTEM XCAPI ISDN is only available if either the provided license key in GFI FaxMaker has a valid software maintenance agreement, or if GFI FaxMaker is running in evaluation mode
The rest of the options, which you can configure when creating a new line, are discussed further in the GFI FaxMaker Administration & Configuration Manual (Section: Configuring a fax line > Line options)