How to manually remove & re-install GFI FaxMaker
This procedure describes how to completely remove GFI FaxMaker from a server and then re-install it anew. A manual uninstall is usually required when a normal uninstall cannot be completed successfully, for example when the logs show that a registry key cannot be removed, or when an installation has been corrupted in a way that doesn’t allow Add/Remove programs to remove the installation.
In this procedure, the configuration is first exported from the old installation. Then the manual uninstall is performed. Finally GFI FaxMaker is re-installed and the configuration is re-imported in the new installation.
Manually removing GFI FaxMaker1. Ensure that UAC is disabled. If using Windows Server 2012, refer to this TechNet article: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13953.windows-server-2012-deactivating-uac.aspx
2. Ensure that the following folders are added to the Antivirus Exclusions set:
- <..\Program Files\GFI\FAXmaker>
- <..\Program Files\Common Files\GFI>
If GFI FaxMaker is installed on Microsoft Exchange, also add the following exclusions:
- Microsoft Exchange 2000/2003: <..\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot>
- Microsoft Exchange 2007: <..\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles>
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 or above: <..\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles>
4. Take a backup any routing information. In the GFI FaxMaker configuration expand the Routing Select the type of routing used, right click and click Export.
5. Uninstall GFI FaxMaker from Programs and features.
6. Open the system registry. Go to Start and run regedit.exe.
7. Delete the following folders from registry:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432node\GFI Fax and Voice 64bit
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\GFI Fax and Voice 32bit
9. Reboot the server.
Re-installing GFI FaxMaker1. Download the latest GFI FaxMaker installer from:
3. Install GFI FaxMaker. For more information refer to http://go.gfi.com/?pageid=FMhelp#cshid=Installation Note that if the configuration is required to be imported from the old installation onto the new installation, GFI FaxMaker must be re-installed over the same path as the old installation.
4. Launch the Services applet services.msc. Verify that the GFI FaxMaker Fax Server and GFI FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent services are running using a Domain Administrator user. To do this right click the service, click the Log On tab and check the account under Log on as: to verify this setting.
Importing the old configuration in the new instance1. Stop all GFI FaxMaker services and the IIS Admin
2. Move the files that were backed up from the old installation to the new GFI FaxMaker installation folder, overriding the existing files.
3. Restart all GFI FaxMaker services and the IIS Admin
To import just the old GFI FaxMaker routing rules into the new instance, in the GFI FaxMaker configuration expand the Routing node. Select the type of routing used, right click and click Import.