Faxes can be sent through GFI FaxMaker by using an alias to specify the fax number. This article provides information about sending the faxes using the Alias Method.
This method works by placing the fax number as the alias and the GFI FaxMaker address as the email address as follows:
The recipient details can also be included when addressing the fax. This can be achieved by addressing the fax as follows:
For the alias method to work, you need to confirm that GFI FaxMaker is set to use this method. Proceed as follows:
- Open Registry Editor by navigating to Start > Run > Regedit.
- Browse to:
- For x86 bit platform: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI Fax & Voice\FaxMaker\Config\E2FG.
- For x64 bit platform: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GFI Fax & Voice\FaxMaker\Config\E2FG
- Locate the DWORD value:
- Ensure that the value data for aliasatserver is set to
aliasatserver = 0
- Restart the GFI FaxMaker Message Transfer Agent Service.
This method of sending is supported by most email clients.
- When using Microsoft Outlook, the address
alias <fax@domain>placed in the To: field may be modified to
firstname.lastname@example.org. To avoid this issue, the email address needs to be entered as follows:
- Information on how to change delimiters when addressing the fax can be found in the knowledge base article How to change the delimiters used in fax addressing
- If the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI Fax & Voice\FaxMaker\Config\E2FG/aliasatserver] is set to
1and the alias method is used, the user sending the fax using this method will get the following error:
No recipients were found in this message. Fax could not be sent.
- Some email clients do not fully support the email address alias. In this case, another fax sending method needs to be used. Other fax sending methods are documented in Methods for sending faxes in GFI FaxMaker