AnswerIt is recommended that the following instructions be performed when requested by a GFI Technical Support Representative. If you do not have an open case, please first submit a request at: www.gfi.com/supportform.
The following procedure should be performed on an affected machine where the AGENT of GFI LanGuard 2011 is installed.
A. Delete Old Data
- Stop the GFI LanGuard 10 Attendant Service
Delete all existing files in:
- <C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GFI\LanGuard 10\DebugLogs> (on 2003/XP)
- <C:\ProgramData\GFI\LanGuard 10\DebugLogs> (on Vista/2008/7)
- Important: Do NOT delete the folder itself
B. Enable Debug mode
- Open the registry editor on the GFI LanGuard client machine (Start > Run > 'regedit' > Enter)
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI\LNSS10\Config
- For 64 bit installations: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GFI\LNSS10\Config
- Change the DWORD value for 'Debug' to '1' (without quotes)
- Add/modify the "multifilebackupcount" value's data and set it to a decimal '10' (to Add choose New => DWORD (32-bit) Value and type 'multifilebackupcount' for the name). Note: The GFI technician may have you choose another data setting depending on the time necessary to recreate the problem.
- Close the registry editor and restart the services stopped in (A.)
C. Reproduce the problem once and note the exact time when the issue occurred
Note: To avoid having to do this procedure repeatedly, please make sure the problem is reproduced fully. It may take several hours, overnight, or even in some cases a few days (if it's random) to reproduce the issue so that the necessary logging is included. The debuglogs are limited in size and so will only include a data set timeframe that is dependent on the logs we need to review and the multifilebackupcount setting.
D. Generate Troubleshooting Files (These files contain important information, which will allow GFI to investigate the issue)
- The troubleshooter files can be generated using the GFI LanGuard Troubleshooter, which can be executed via Start > Run > 'Lantrouble' > Enter
- Select 'Gather only application information and logs' and answer the questions set by the troubleshooter as accurately as possible
- Once the troubleshooter program is finished, it will create a zip file named in the format: date_time_LNSSSupport.zip
E. Please include all other requested information and upload the file to our FTP Server. The FTP details are below:
Using the Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), perform the following:
- Enter ftp.gfisoftware.com in the address bar.
- Once the window opens, right click in the file section of the box and select Login as...
In the Log On As dialog enter the following:
- User name: gfi
- Password: gfi911cust
- A blank window will be displayed. Drag the file created into the blank white space.
- If the above does not work, please follow the instructions defined in: How to upload files to the GFI FTP site using FileZilla FTP Client