This article does not refer to the latest version of the product.
If you want to upgrade to the latest version, read: https://upgrade.gfi.com/?product=gfi-languard
Please make sure to read through this article in its entirety in order to prepare for the upgrade to GFI LanGuard 2015.
Note: The upgrade can be performed from either GFI LanGuard 2011 or GFI LanGuard 2012, but if an older version of LanGuard is in use (older than GFI LanGuard 2011), it is first needed to upgrade to GFI LanGuard 2011.
Important pre-upgrade considerations
Ensure that the server meets the minimum system requirements of GFI LanGuard 2015
|Component||1 to 100 Clients||100 to 500 Clients||500 to 3,000 Clients*|
|Processor||2 GHz Dual Core||2.8 GHz Dual Core||3 GHz Quad Core|
|Physical Storage||5 GB||10 GB||20 GB|
|RAM||2 GB||4 GB||8 GB|
|Network Bandwidth||1544 kbps||1544 kbps||1544 kbps|
- If there is a need to manage 2000+ seats of GFI LanGuard, it is recommend to contact us for pricing as well as suggestions regarding the proper management and deployment of this solution
- GFI LanGuard 2014 R2 introduced a new licensing subscription model. Please refer to:
- A valid software maintenance agreement comes with an entitlement to upgrade the GFI LanGuard license key without further cost. License keys can be managed via the customer area. For more information, please see:
- GFI LanGuard 2015 is considered a minor update. This means that it will not be installed side by side with LanGuard 2012, but will be installed on the same path and use the same service name. Configuration settings will automatically be retained
- A new license key is needed for GFI LanGuard 2015 only if upgrading from GFI LanGuard 2011.
- GFI LanGuard 2015 will install along side of GFI LanGuard 2011 and can function without issue. It is recommended to uninstall GFI LanGuard 2011 once the upgrade process is successful
In-place upgrade procedure:
- Ensure to have a recent backup of the system. GFI LanGuard Backup instructions can be found at here.
- Disable any antivirus software completely during the upgrade
- Download the latest installer from: http://www.gfi.com/downloads/mirrors.aspx?pid=lanss
- Right-click the installer file and select Properties > General > Unblock > Apply/OK (The appearance of the Unblock button is dependent on the server security settings)
- Run the installer
- The installer will install prerequisites, if needed
- The upgrade process will automatically import the settings from the previous GFI LanGuard 2012 or 2014 installation.