- It is recommended to follow the instructions when requested by a GFI Technical Support Representative.
- If you do not have an open case, please first submit a request via the GFI Technical Support Form.
- Where registry or file paths are mentioned, [version number] should be replaced by the version you are running, e.g., 12, as in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI\LNSS12\Config
Note: The following procedure should be performed on the affected machine where the agent of GFI LanGuard is installed.
A. Delete Old Data
- Stop the GFI LanGuard Attendant Service in the case that you are running version 12 or later. Otherwise, move to the next step.
- Delete all existing files (Exception: DO NOT delete the HTTPD directory) in:
- <C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GFI\LanGuard [version number]\DebugLogs> (on Microsoft Windows 2003 / XP)
- <C:\ProgramData\GFI\LanGuard [version number]\DebugLogs> (on Microsoft Windows Vista / 2008 / 7 / 10), where [version number] should be replaced by the version number you are using.
Important: Do NOT delete the folder itself.
B. Enable Debug Mode
Open the registry editor on the GFI LanGuard client machine (Start > Run >
regedit> press Enter)
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI\LNSS[version number]\Config
- for x64 bit installations: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\GFI\LNSS[version number]\Config
- Change the DWORD value for 'Debug' to '1' (without quotes)
- Important: Add/modify the 'multifilebackupcount' value's data and set it to a decimal '10' (to Add choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and type
multifilebackupcountfor the name).
- Close the registry editor and restart the services stopped in (A.)
C. Reproduce the Problem Once and Note the Exact Time When the Issue Occurred
- To avoid having to do this procedure repeatedly, please make sure the problem is reproduced fully.
Note: It may take several hours, overnight, or even in some cases a few days to reproduce the issue.
- The debug logs are limited in size; so it may not include the relevant data if the logs are not captured in a timely fashion.
- Should the issue be reproducible by taking certain steps, please record these steps (e.g. you could use the Problem Steps Recorder, the use of which is explained in the article Using psr.exe.
D. Generate Troubleshooting Files
These files contain important information, which will allow GFI to investigate the issue.
- The troubleshooter files can be generated by using the GFI LanGuard Troubleshooter, which can be executed from Start > Run > type
Lantrouble> press Enter.
- Select 'Gather only application information and logs' and answer the questions set by the troubleshooter as accurately as possible.
- Once the troubleshooter program is finished, it will create a zip file:
- GFI LanGuard 12 will offer to upload the file automatically. Take note of the file name and send this to the technician.
- Earlier versions do not upload the file automatically. In this case, upload it to our FTP site per the instructions below.
- Remember to confirm and use the correct file or registry path which varies depending on your version of LanGuard.
E. Include Any Other Requested Information and Upload the File to Our FTP Server
The FTP details are below:
ftp.gfisoftware.comin the address bar.
- Once the window opens, right-click in the file section of the box and select Login as...
- In the Log On As dialogue enter the following:
- User name:
- A blank window will be displayed. Drag the file created into the blank white space.
- If you get an error while uploading, please change the name of the file slightly (add a "_1" before the extension) and try again.
F. Reply to the Case
Reply to the case ticket to confirm that the upload is complete and specify the exact name of the uploaded file, as well as the time when the issue was reproduced and the IP address of the target machine, if applicable.
If you are unable to upload files via FTP, go to WeTransfer.
- In both the To (Friend's email) and From (Your email) fields, enter your own email address.
- Upload the log files zip file.
- You will then receive an email from WeTransfer. Send the WeTransfer download link to your GFI Support representative.