Social Control policies provide granular control over the use of social networking services. For example, you can create a policy to block certain functionality within Facebook without blocking the website itself.
If a policy is breached, GFI WebMonitor uses the configured policy to determine what action to take.
Social Controls grant or deny access to the following:
- Facebook – block Facebook games and applications from running
- Google+ - block games in Google+
- Twitter – blocks the ability to tweet, direct messages, view profiles, connect to users etc.
- Other social networking sites
A Default IM and Social Control Policy is enabled when GFI WebMonitor is installed. It is pre-configured to allow access to all social networking services to all users on your network. The default policy can be edited, but cannot be disabled or deleted. Any changes made to the default policy apply to all users.
NOTE: Certain fields in the default policy cannot be edited. These include Policy Name and Apply Policy To.
Creating a new Social Control Policy
To create a new Social Control Policy:
- Go to Settings > Policies > Internet Policies
- In the Instant Messaging / Social Control Policies area, click Add Policy
- In the Policy Name field, type a policy name
- In the Filter area, specify which social networking service to block or allow under Social Controls
In the Apply Policy To field, specify Users, Groups or IPs for whom the new policy applies, then click Add
- NOTE: Proxy Authentication must be enabled, otherwise you will not be able to add Active Directory users.
- In the Notify Breacher area, click ON to enable notifications to send when a user infringes this policy. Provide the body text of the notification email in the available space.
- Use the Notify Administrators area to send notifications when the downloaded content infringes this policy. Add the administrator’s email address and provide the body text of the notification email.
- NOTE: All added policies take priority over the default policy.