When performing a device scan using GFI EndPointSecurity on a Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7 or Microsoft Windows 2008 computer, the scan fails with the following error message:
Failed to enumerate devices on this computer
- GFI EndPointSecurity
- Microsoft Windows Vista, 7 or Server 2008
Perform the following procedure to allow remote access to the PnP interface on the machine you are attempting to enumerate the devices from:
- Logon to the Microsoft Windows Vista, 7 or Server 2008 computer with administrative privileges
- Click Start and select Run
- Type in gpedit.msc
- Browse to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation
- Right click Allow remote access to the PnP interface and select Properties
- Under the Settings tab, select the Enable option
- Click Ok to save changes
- Restart the computer
- You are able to edit the Allow remote access to the PnP interface policy for the domain security policy if the domain controller is a Microsoft Windows 2008 Server. If the domain is running on a Microsoft Windows 2003 domain controller, the policy is not available.
- If you have performed the change on the domain security policy, the Microsoft Vista and Microsoft Windows 2008 computers in the domain would need to be restarted in order for changes to take effect
A new security policy has been introduced in Microsoft Vista and Microsoft Windows 2008 which needs to be enabled in order for the GFI EndPointSecurity device scanner to enumerate the physical devices located on the machine.