This article shows how to enable Forms-Based Authentication in GFI Archiver.
By default, GFI Archiver uses windows based authentication when authenticating users. GFI Archiver supports also forms-based authentication. Use the following procedure to switch from windows based authentication to forms based authentication:
Authentication Tool (recommended):
- Run the tool: ..\InstallationFolder\Tools\ChangeAuthentication\GFIChangeAuthenticationTool.exe
- It will show the currently configured mode and allow to switch to the other
- When upgrading to a newer version of GFI Archiver, installation files mentioned in this procedure will be overwritten with default versions making the changes void and ineffective. It is therefore suggested to keep a record of this procedure and follow it once again directly after upgrading to keep this functionality intact.
- This procedure requires to edit files manually. If edited incorrectly it can leave the server in a non-operational state. Please keep backups of any file which is edited throughout this article before saving any changes to them.
- Open the following file in Notepad: ..\InstallationFolder\ASPNET\UI\web.config
<add key="AuthenticationMode" value="Windows"/>to:
<add key="AuthenticationMode" value="Forms"/>
- Save the file.
- The Authentication Tool is only available from GFI MailArchiver 2013 or newer.
- You might need to close/reopen or clear the cookies your browser after switching the authentication mode.
- Forms-based authentication is normally used when users connect to GFI Archiver outside of your local domain, such as the Internet.