When installing or uninstalling, you receive the following error:
Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN...
- GFI MailEssentials
- VIPRE Email Security for Exchange
- All Supported Environments
We recommended that you back-up the registry before taking this action.
You must be logged in as the administrator (or an account with full administrator access). UAC (User Access Control) must be also disabled for Windows Vista and newer systems. For more information on how to disable UAC, please see this article: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-User-Account-Control-on-or-off
In order to resolve this error, you will need to repair permissions to some registry keys:
- Open the registry editor (Start > Run > type regedit)
- Navigate to the following parent container: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components. The 'S-1-5-18' key may be different on your computer.
- Right click the Components container registry key (The screen snapshot below uses the "000085D..." registry key for illustrative purposes only) and choose Permissions...
- On the Permissions for... dialog box which appears next, click the Add... button and add in the Administrator, Administrators and SYSTEM accounts, as well as your own local account with administrator privileges.
- Back on the first Permissions for... dialog box, click each account in the top-list and make sure each has the Full Control = Allow and Read = Allow permissions
- Click the Advanced button so that the Advanced Security Settings dialog box appears
- On the Permissions tab place a check next to Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object, then press the Apply button
- On the Owner tab, highlight the Administrators name in the lower listbox, place a check next to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and press the Apply button
- Repeat the previous 2 steps once more. This time around you shouldn't get any errors about not being able to update the permissions on the child keys.
- Exit these dialog boxes by pressing the OK button
Once this has been done the software should uninstall or install properly. It is recommended that you right click the installer icon and choos Run as administrator... if available.