The antivirus engine fails to update its definitions with the following sample error message:
BitDefender files were successfully downloaded. But a failure occurred when updating local engine files.
- GFI MailEssentials
- All supported environments
This error occurs when the virus definition files are locked or otherwise not able to be overwritten.
- Stop the MailEssentials services and the Internet Information Services (IIS) Admin service, taking note of the dependent services stopped.
- From Windows Explorer, browse to the MailEssentials directory.
- Navigate to the Update folder. Within the folder will be other folders for the various engines.
- Within the folder that is having the update problem, locate the current version.txt file and delete it. This will force a full update which should overwrite all the present definition files for the given engine.