PROBLEMThe antivirus engine fails to update its definitions with the following sample error message:
BitDefender files were successfully downloaded. But a failure occurred when updating local engine files.
- GFI MailEssentials
- All Supported Environments
- Stop the MailEssentials services and the IIS Admin service, taking note of the dependent services stopped
- From Windows Explorer, browse to the MailEssentials directory
- Navigate to the Updater folder. Within the folder will be other folders for the various engines.
- Within the folder that is having the update problem, locate the current_revision.txt file and delete it. This will force a full update which should overwrite all the present definition files for the given engine.
This error occurs when the virus definition files are locked or otherwise not able to be overwritten.