When upgrading GFI MailEssentials, the installation process may fail with the following error message logged:
Execute Message >> DAT  = Installing new services
Execute Message >> DAT  = Service: 
Progress >> [maininstall.x64]: Overall: 49, 99
Error >> [maininstall.x64] Code: 1923, Message: Error 1923.Service GFI MailEssentials Autoupdater (gfimesavupdate) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services.
Error 0x80070643: Failed to install MSI package.
Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSI package.
Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSI package.
This article provides the root cause of this installation error and the resolution for it.
The reason why this error occurs is that the upgrade process fails to stop and replace one of the services. Most commonly, this issue occurs because the service has been marked for deletion previously.
To resolve this issue, remove the mentioned service manually.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator.
- On the left end of the Windows taskbar, select the Start icon, or press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.
- Right-click on the application link and select Run as Administrator. This option may be offered under the application options as well. Alternatively, you may press ctrl+shift+enter at the same time.
- Click Yes in the security alert window.
- Delete the named service by using the
For the service that is indicated in this error, use the following command.
sc delete gfimesavupdate