When opening the GFI MailEssentials Configuration, the following error appears:
HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized
This article provides a resolution to fix this issue.
- GFI MailEssentials
- All supported environments
Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) authentication is not set correctly which can resist user's access to the GFI MailEssentials configuration.
- Open the GFI MailEssentials switchboard from the Program Start Menu on the server. Make sure that Microsoft IIS mode is enabled. The local mode will only allow access from the server itself.
- If Microsoft IIS mode is enabled and you still are unable to access the page, there may be an issue with the authentication configuration in IIS.
- GFI MailEssentials configuration console is a website hosted by Microsoft IIS. For this reason, the site will be subject to whatever security protocols you have in place for your Default Web Site.
- Open your Microsoft IIS Manager and check the authentication properties of the GFI MailEssentials website. Make sure that both Windows Authentication and Basic Authentication are selected if you make any changes here.
- To apply the changes, open the command prompt and enter
There should be no more issues when opening the GFI MailEssentials Configuration.