Versions / Builds Affected21.1
Problem SummaryGFI AV Scanning Engine service crashing randomly
How to Identify- GFI AV Scanning Engine service crashing randomly.
- Reproduced by sending an email with an empty attachment to local domain
Faulting application name: GFIScanM.exe, version: 188.8.131.52, time stamp: 0x59f301fb
Faulting module name: contcheck.dll, version: 184.108.40.20619, time stamp: 0x59f3011a
Workaround / Fix DetailsThe development team released a patch to fix the issue:
1. Right click the downloaded zip > Properties > Unblock if present.
2. Stop Transport and all MailEssentials services.
3. Backup and replace contcheck.dll in ..\GFI\MailEssentials\Emailsecurity .. with the one downloaded
4. Start the services again and test/monitor.
As a test you can send an email with an empty attachment, such as an empty txt (this is what was triggering the crash).
If you have issues with the patch, inform level 3 support.
Required ActionsSend procedure above to clients to apply the patch.