GFI recommends keeping a backup of the product configuration data. In case of data loss, GFI will not be able to recover your configuration if a backup is not available. If using backup software to back up data, it is required to stop the services listed below before the backup starts and to start the services again once the backup is complete. Not stopping the services during a backup by third-party backup software may cause GFI MailEssentials to malfunction.
- GFI ListServer
- GFI MailEssentials Enterprise Transfer Service
- GFI MailEssentials Legacy Attendant Service
- GFI MailEssentials AntiSpam Attendant
- GFI MailEssentials EmailSecurity Attendant
- GFI MailEssentials AS Scan Engine
- GFI MailEssentials AV Scan Engine
- GFI POP2Exchange
Backing up the configuration
Using the Configuration Export/Import Tool
- From the GFI MailEssentials installation directory, run meconfigmgr.exe
- Click the Export button.
- Select the location where the files will be saved and click OK.
- Once complete, the following settings will be backed up in the specified folder:
- Autowhitelist.mdb – Auto whitelist entries (2014 and earlier).
- Avapicfg.mdb – Main configuration for MailEssentials EmailSecurity.
- Config.mdb – Main configuration for MailEssentials Antispam.
- Weights.bsp – Database file used by the Bayesian filter.
- Userlist.mdb – User list when installed in non-AD mode.
- Pop2exchange.xml – If Pop2Exchange is used an configured.
- PWLBL.sdf – Personal whitelist / blacklist (2014 and earlier).
- MECES_Reporting.xml – Definitions of reports, including custom and scheduled reports.
- List server databases – If used and configured.
- Controllists.sdf - Contains autowhitelist, whitelist, email blocklist, and personal whitelist/blocklist on 2015.
- Make a backup of these files.
Note: Personal whitelist / blacklist and reports settings are imported / exported as of GFI MailEssentials 2012 SR3 (build 20121218).