When upgrading to a newer version of GFI MailEssentials, the installation fails as Microsoft SQL Server Compact 64-bit cannot be installed. The following error is written to the installation log:
Error >> [sqlce35.x64] Code: 0, Message: Before installing the x64 version of SQL Server Compact, download and install the x86 version of SQL Server Compact from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=158865.
This has been observed when upgrading from GFI MailEssentials 2014 R2 to GFI MailEssentials 2015.
When Microsoft SQL Server Compact 32-bit is already installed on the server, it is unable to upgrade to the required 64-bit version.
- Remove all versions of Microsoft SQL Server Compact from the system (via the Control Panel).
- Download Microsoft SQL Server Compact.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 32bit.
- Install Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 64bit.
- Upgrade GFI MailEssentials.
Note: The order in which the components are to be installed is important. Install the 32bit version before the 64bit version.