The following steps provide instruction on installing Wireshark and using it to capture network traffic.
- Administrator privileges required.
- Intermediate understanding of network and systems administration is recommend.
- Navigate to Wireshark Download Page.
- Download the compatible version for your operating system.
- Install Wireshark, then open the application.
- In the top menu, select Capture > Options.
- Click on Manage Interfaces.
- Check the boxes for which network interfaces you would like to capture, then click OK.
- Note: This will be the network interface card(s) used by the FOIP/VOIP fax device to transmit packets.
- Note: This is usually the Local Area Network Connection. Most dedicated fax servers will have more than one Local Area Connection, and therefore both should be checked. If you are unsure check all of them or verify with a systems administrator.
- Verify the interfaces to capture by selecting and highlighting them. To select multiple lines, hold down the CTRL button while clicking the interface name. Only the highlighted ones will be captured. When all desired interfaces are highlighted, click Start to begin capture.
- Reproduce the problem. If troubleshooting faxes, by sending or receiving a fax on the problematic FaxMaker line. If troubleshooting an HTTP address, navigate to the URL.
- After the transmission has finished, with or without errors, navigate back to Wireshark application and click the red square to stop. The alternative method is using menu Capture > Stop.
- In the menu, click File > Save As. Then select Wireshark /tcpdump/ ... pcap from the 'Save as type' drop-down menu. Name the file capture.pcap and click Save.