This article shares the process of installing Wireshark and using it to capture network traffic.
- Administrator privileges
- Intermediate understanding of network and systems administration
Follow these steps:
- Navigate to Wireshark Download Page.
- Download the compatible version for your operating system.
- Install Wireshark, and then open the application.
- In the top menu, go to Capture > Options.
- Click on Manage Interfaces.
- Check the boxes for which network interfaces you would like to capture.
- Network interface card(s) used by the FOIP/VOIP fax device to transmit packets.
- Local Area Network Connection.
- Most dedicated fax servers with more than one Local Area Connection. If you are unsure check all of them or verify with a systems administrator.
- Click OK.
- Verify the interfaces to capture by selecting and highlighting them.
- To select multiple lines, hold down the CTRL button while clicking the interface name. Only the highlighted ones will be captured.
- When all desired interfaces are highlighted, click Start to begin capture.
- Reproduce the problem.
- If troubleshooting faxes, by sending or receiving a fax on the problematic FaxMaker line.
- If troubleshooting an HTTP address, navigate to the URL.
- After the transmission has finished, with or without errors, navigate back to Wireshark application and click the red square to stop (Capture > Stop).
- In the menu, click File > Save As.
- Then select Wireshark /tcpdump/ ... pcap from the 'Save as type' drop-down menu.
- Name the file capture.pcap.
- Click Save.